Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Burgers, Fries and a Shake

Tonight we indulged in big, fat, juicy burgers, a generous helping of fries, and thick, sweet shakes. It was the yummiest meal I've enjoyed in a long time.

And the healthiest.

Yes, you read that right. Our entire dinner tonight was nutritious and DELICIOUS!

Burgers:

-Lean ground turkey, a small sprinkle of salt and pepper, and McCormick's burger seasoning
-Done just like regular burgers, shape turkey into patties, cook over grill, or on stovetop. I just used a big skillet and cooked ours inside since it is rainy today.

Fries:

-Sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into fries. Shake in a bag with seasonings (I used a little bit of seasoning salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper) and a few sprays of cooking oil (The original recipe calls for oil, but I subbed non stick spray and found the results were great!)
-Laid out on non-stick sprayed cookie sheet and stuck in 350 oven for 45 minutes, turning once.

Shake:

-1/2 a bag of whole, frozen strawberries. 2 cups of skim milk, blended together. More or less depending on thickness preferences.
-I also add a scoop of sugar free strawberry jam, which adds just the touch of sweet strawberriness!
*You could totally add in bananas, kiwi, peach, etc.

Extras:

Reduced fat cheddar atop our turkey delights, fresh baked whole wheat buns from our grocery store's bakery, thick slices of juicy tomato, and fresh, crisp lettuce leaves.

Seriously, I was in heaven. Super super yummy, not dripping in fat and calories like it would be from a fast food joint, and the kids dug into their plates!

**Another Kid-Friendly Tip: Deconstructed burgers. Seriously! Neither of my kids will eat a burger if it is in traditional burger form (ya know.....bun, meat, bun) so I deconstruct. They get half of a hamburger bun, cut into chunks, 1/4 of a patty, again in chunks, some shreds of lettuce, a slice of cheese, and chopped tomato. Ketchup on the side because when you are a kid, everything pairs well with ketchup. They eat way more than they would if they were looking at just half a burger on their plates.

So seriously, if you are looking for a healthier alternative to the burger/fry meal, you gotta try this! The shake adds just the touch too, it made the entire meal a real treat for my whole family.

Lastly, because of my new Grocery Game skills, my entire meal costs $9 (everything was sale, clearance, or couponed!), so $2.25 per person. Try that at your local restaurant!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed to read that people pay money to learn how to coupon shop. Why not get the same information for free at sites such as http://hotcouponworld.com

fairytalesandmargaritas said...

Anonymous obviously doesn't know how the grocery game works, but whatever!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's like a little game for me each week.

And that meal sounds yummy. We do lots of turkey stuff- meatballs, burgers, tacos. Unfortunately, I can't get anyone to do sweet potatoes.

Jules said...

Yeah Lori, The Hubs hated the sweet potato fries, but the girls ate them, so I was happy!

I found some good info on that site Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous posted, but I am pretty hooked to the Grocery Game!!!!

Laura said...

Yum! I love making turkey burgers with sweet potato fries too! Another great topping for the burgers is avocado slices! Mmmm...

Corey~living and loving said...

:) we tried the fries....over a year ago...and it was a no go for all of us. I was bummed.....I really wanted to love them.

we love turkey burgers though. :)

suzy2110 said...

Those all sound delicious, I will definitely give it a try! We all love sweet potatoes, so I think those would be a hit! :-)

Anonymous said...

酒店打工

酒店兼職

台北酒店

打工兼差

酒店工作

酒店經紀

禮服店

酒店兼差

酒店上班

酒店PT

酒店

酒店喝酒

酒店消費

喝花酒

粉味

aiya said...

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft word
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Outlook 2010
Microsoft outlook
Microsoft outlook 2010
Windows 7